GRE考试对阅读能力的考查包括： reasoning from incomplete data, inferring missing information, drawing conclusions from the information provided 以及 analyzing a text and reaching conclusions about it等等。这充分说明GRE阅读要求考生不但要看出文章明确陈述的内容，更为重要的是要能够看出字里行间隐含的意思，即希望考生可以 “听出 “ 话里话。另外，在ETS官网上也有类似的阐述：You will have to identify all ideas that have been presented in the GRE reading comprehension passage either sxpolicitly or implicitly.
That chance remained limited throughout the war by army policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only bne-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great. ...
【题目】 The passage suggests that which of the following was true of Black units'disease mortality rates in the Civil War?
【分析】从题干中的suggest可以看出本题需要通过文中信息进行推测。从上句中的Thus可知，文 中的因果关系是：由于黑人军团大多服役于后勤和劳动营， 因此尽管他们在战争中的死亡率是 白人的三分之一，但其疾病死亡率却是白人的两倍。由此可以推测出：黑人较高的疾病死亡率是由他们的工作性质决定的，进而可知答案为：They were especially high because of the nature of these units'usual duty assignments.
1. Unlike large businesses, smaIJ concerns often need to make substantial investments in new plants, staff, equipment, and the like in order to perform work subcontracted to them. If, thereafter, their subcontracts are for some reason reduced, such frims can face potentially crippling fixed expenses.
2. Thus, a move north would be seen as advantageous to a group that was already urbanized and steadily employed, and the easy conclusion tying their subsequent economic problems in the North to their rural background comes into question.
3. In 1896 a Georgia couple suing for damages in the accidental death of their two-year old child was told that since the child had made no real economic contribution to the f叩ly, there was no liability for damages.
1. 从这两个句子可以推测出：如果large businesses(大公司)遭遇转包合同额下降的风险，它们的固定成本不会受到太大影响。
2. 从文章中的easy conclusion可以推断出作者认为将他们后来在北方遇到的经济问题跟他们的农村背景相联系是草率的。