Percent of total score—50
Directions: You have 75 minutes to answer all three of the following questions. It is recommended that you spend approximately one-third of your time (25 minutes) on each question. It is suggested that you take up to 5 minutes of this time to plan and outline each answer. You may use the unlined space below each question for notes. Be sure to write your answers on the lined pages immediately following each question.
1. Development results in a number of economic and social changes within a country.
A. Identify primary, secondary, and tertiary economic activities.
B. Explain TWO different reasons for each of the following changes that typically occur as a country develops over time.
1. Declines in primary sector employment
2. Decreases in infant mortality rate
3. Improvements in women’s social status
2. Many countries around the world, including Canada, have more than one official language.
A. Identify the primary language spoken by most inhabitants in the shaded area on the map.
B. Explain how bilingualism can have a positive impact on a country.
C. Explain how bilingualism can have a negative impact on a country.
D. Discuss TWO reasons, other than language, why Canada does not fit the nation-state concept.
3. The pictures show two types of agriculture in the world.
A. Identify the grain crop shown in each photo.
B. Discuss TWO economic differences between subsistence agriculture and commercial agriculture.
C. Identify ONE environmental impact resulting from the type of agriculture shown in photo Y.
D. Identify ONE environmental impact resulting from the type of agriculture shown in photo Z.